Idyllic Holidays South of the Border
A glorious and naturally blessed combination of uncrowded white-sanded, lush rainforests, exquisitely picturesque hinterland surroundings and an idyllic climate has attracted a curious mix of hippies, surfers, rich urbanities, actors and artists to the New South Wales - Northern Rivers region.
The relaxed beachside community of Kingscliff has a touch of city sophistication. It's main street, endowed with attractive street landscaping, trendy cafes and a wide variety of award-winning restaurants, is becoming a gourmet destination. Beach and surf lovers are also well catered for, with pristine beaches that stretch for kilometres only a step away.
Head further south to Byron Bay, a melting pot of surf culture, alternative philosophies and hedonistic indulgence. The self-proclaimed 'style capital' of the north coast. Byron is home to an eclectic mix of cafes, boutiques and bars, as well as the Byron Bay lighthouse, perched on the easternmost headland of Australia. Complete with magnificent surfing beaches, unspoilt hinterland and a laid-back lifestyle, A drive along the winding roads here will take you through deep, green valleys, over undulating hills and through quaint and charming villages, such as Brooklet, Rosebank, and more with stunning views.
Ballina, a quiet seaside escape, offers a vast array of ocean and river beaches, providing a plethora of water activities, including some great fishing, and is also a great base from which to explore the surrounding national parks. In town, pay a visit to the Naval and Maritime Museum.
- Go Inland: Follow the winding roads to the peaceful towns of Bangalow and Murwillumbah.
- Walk to the Most Easterly Point of Australia: Admire the views from Cape Byron Lighthouse; you may even see some of the local dolphins riding the waves.
- Watch the World Go By: People-watch at Byron's great cafes and have a beer at the Great Northern.
- Surf the Break at Lennox Head: One of the country's best surfing secrets.
- The Simple Life is Sweet: Discover some of the charming little towns around the Byron hinterland.
- Check out Bangalow Markets: Meet and support local artists and growers, sample their produce and purchase their wares.